"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

16 December 2016

Enemy.


DRINKING SONG

I want to die in the saddle. An enemy of civilization,
I want to walk around in the woods, fish and drink.

I'm going to be a child about it and I can't help it, I was
born this way and it makes me very happy to fish and
              drink.

I left when it was still dark and walked on the path to the
river, the Yellow Dog, where I spent the day fishing
              and drinking.

After she left me and I quit my job and wept for a year and
all my poems were born dead, I decided I would only
              fish and drink.

Water will never leave earth and whiskey is good for the
              brain.

What else am I supposed to do in these last days but fish
              and drink?

In the river was a trout and I was on the bank, my heart
              in my
chest, clouds above, she was in NY forever and I, fishing
and drinking.

Jim Harrison

No comments: