"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

03 November 2016

Singing.

Homer, Whitling Boy, 1873


The HAMMOCK

When I lay my head in my mother’s lap
 I think how day hides the stars,
 the way I lay hidden once, waiting
 inside my mother’s singing to herself. And I remember
 how she carried me on her back
 between home and the kindergarten,
 once each morning and once each afternoon.
 
 I don’t know what my mother’s thinking.
 
 When my son lays his head in my lap, I wonder:
 Do his father’s kisses keep his father’s worries
 from becoming his? I think, Dear God, and remember
 there are stars we haven’t heard from yet:
 They have so far to arrive. Amen,
 I think, and I feel almost comforted.
 
 I’ve no idea what my child is thinking.
 
 Between two unknowns, I live my life.
 Between my mother’s hopes, older than I am
 by coming before me, and my child’s wishes, older than I am
 by outliving me. And what’s it like?
 Is it a door, and good-bye on either side?
 A window, and eternity on either side?
 Yes, and a little singing between two great rests.

Li-Young Lee

No comments: