"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

02 October 2016

October.


It was October, which is a peaceful time in Castle Rock.  Lots of the lake places still get used on the weekends, but the aggressive, boozy summer socializing is over by then and the hunters with their big guns haven’t started to come into town yet.  Crops have been mostly laid by.  Nights are cool, good for sleeping, the old joints like mine haven’t started to complain.  In October the sky over the lake is passing fair, with those big white clouds that move so slow; I like how they seem so flat on the bottoms, and how they are a little gray there, like with a shadow of sundown foretold, and I can watch the sun sparkle on the water and not be bored for some space of minutes.  It’s October, sitting on the bench in front of Bell’s and watching the lake from afar off, that I still wish I was a smoking man.

Stephen King, from "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"

Thanks, Kurt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite of all of SK's short stories. I would take that ride.