"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

03 August 2016

Quality.


I'm sadly realizing that years of digital listenings of classical music on YouTube and similar sound-compressing devices were enough to create a whole generation of tone-illiterate musicians and audiences.

Buy CDs, guys.  They're not the best sound quality, but much better than the crap you listen to online.

Enrico Onofri

1 comment:

Steve said...

A slightly contrary perspective: last night I listened on YouTube to what I considered a brilliant performance that had less than stellar sound quality (it was a performance of Bach's Chaconne by Frank Peter Zimmermann,and to my ear it sounded as though the mic and/or the recording amp were being overdriven during the loud passages). But if not for YouTube, I probably never would have heard the performance. The range of performances and the quality of musicianship available online is wonderful, even if the sound quality varies (and I'm usually picky about sound quality when I listen to music).