"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

19 March 2016

Disappeared.

Curtis, Mandan Hunter with Buffalo Skull, 1908


Wolves of Heaven

It had been very hot for three weeks
so I worked well into a cool night
when at 3 a.m. a big thunderstorm hit.
I went out in the yard naked and sat
at the picnic table for a rain bath
careful about the rattlesnake on the sidewalk.
The sky drowned the mosquitoes
feeding on me.  The lighning was relentless
and lit up the valley so I could see
the ghosts who had me ill this past year.
Then I was part of a battle from two
hundred years ago when the Cheyenne
from the east attacked the Absoroka,
the Crow, in this valley.  A group of the Cheyenne
were massaum, the wolves of heaven,
warriors who painted themeslves solid yellow.
One on a black horse stopped at our gate
but decided not to kill me.
I want to be a yellow wolf of heaven.
They disappeared into the lightning. 

Jim Harrison

1 comment:

Celeste Annette Resler said...

Jim Harrison says at the end of Anthony Bourdain episode from Butte, Montana. "I want to be a yellow wolf. They disappear in the thunder."