"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

27 January 2016

Happy birthday, Mozart.

Lange, Mozart, 1783


The greatest composer who ever lived, Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart, was born on this day in 1756.

What a delight this is! All this inventing, this producing, takes place in a pleasing, lively dream.  It is a mistake to think that the practice of my art has become easy to me. I assure you, dear friend, no one has given so much care to the study of composition as I. There is scarcely a famous master in music whose works I have not frequently and diligently studied.  Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 

The Magic Flute



The Magic Flute, for children ...


No comments: