"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

02 November 2015

Workspace.


Curious to meet the man behind these beautiful pieces that I’ve seen my whole life when thumbing through cookbooks in the kitchen, I ask to visit his workspace and Goines politely invites me over.

I arrive at St. Hieronymus Press in North Berkeley on an unusually warm weekday morning. I step under the indigo awning, and Goines greets me cheerfully, leading me into his shop. The place smells delightfully of ink and turpentine. Dozens of his posters are tacked high on the yellowed walls, brightening up the room with their rich colors. In the work area there are cylinder and platen letterpresses on one end, and two offset lithography machines on the other. The glossy black lithography machines are mammoth and immensely heavy, hunks that max out just below 3,000 pounds. I think they’ll be staying put for a while longer.

CONNECT

No comments: