"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

21 October 2015

Happy birthday, Coleridge.

Northcote, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, 1804


Samuel Taylor Coleridge was born on this date in 1772.

Something Childish, but Very Natural  

 If I had but two little wings
      And were a little feathery bird,
         To you I'd fly, my dear!
But thoughts like these are idle things,
         And I stay here.

   But in my sleep to you I fly:
      I'm always with you in my sleep!
         The world is all one's own.
But then one wakes, and where am I?
         All, all alone.

   Sleep stays not, though a monarch bids:
      So I love to wake ere break of day:
         For though my sleep be gone,
Yet while 'tis dark, one shuts one's lids,

         And still dreams on.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

No comments: