"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

22 May 2015

See.

Peter Llewelyn Davies:  What did you bring me over here for?    

Mrs. Llewelyn Davies:  Peter!                         

Peter Llewelyn Davies: This is absurd. It's just a dog.                             

Mrs. Llewelyn Davies: Come on, darling.                              

J.M. Barrie: "Just a dog"? "Just?”                         

Porthos, don't listen to him.                             

Porthos dreams of being a bear and you want to dash those dreams by saying he's "just a dog?”  What a horrible, candle-snuffing word.  That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man.” Or, "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock."                        

"Just."    

Peter Llewelyn Davies: Fine then. Turn him into a bear ... if you can.                       
Mrs. Llewelyn Davies: Peter, where are your manners?                             
J.M. Barrie: With those eyes, my bonny lad, I'm afraid you'd never see it.  However, with just a wee bit of imagination, I can turn around right now and see … the great bear, Porthos.                             
Dance with me ...

No comments: