"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

17 May 2015

Pleasure.


Lipp's is where you are going to eat and drink too.

It was a quick walk walk to Lipp's and every place I passed that my stomach noticed as quickly as my eyes or my nose made the walk and added pleasure.  There were few people in the brasserie and when I sat down on the bench against the wall with the mirror in the back and a table in front and the waiter asked if I wanted a beer I asked for a distingué, the big glass mug that held a liter, and for potato salad.

The beer was very cold and wonderful to drink.  The pommes à l'huile were firm and marinated and the olive oil delicious.  I ground black pepper over the potatoes and moistened the bread in the olive oil.  After the first heavy draft of beer I drank and ate very slowly.  When the pommes à l'huile were gone I ordered another serving and a cervelas.  This was a sausage like a heavy, wide frankfurter split in two and covered with a special mustard. 

I mopped up all the oil and all of the sauce with the bread and drank the beer slowly until it began to lose its coldness and then I finished it and ordered a demi and watched it drawn.  It seemed colder than the distingué and I drank half of it. 

Ernest Hemingway, from A Moveable Feast

No comments: