"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

05 January 2015

Removed.

Johnson, Evening in a Log Hut, 1868


“What’s more delightful than an evening beside the fire with a nice bright lamp and a book, listening to the wind beating against the windows …?

“How true!” she said, her universal eyes fixed intently on him.

“I’m absolutely removed from the world at such times,” he said. “The hours go by without my knowing it.  Sitting there, I’m wandering in countries I can see every detail of – I’m playing a role in the story I’m reading.  I actually feel I’m among the characters – I live and breathe with them.”

“I know!” she said. “I feel the same!”

Gustav Flaubert

No comments: