"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

17 March 2013

Helped.


Even if I had studied Spanish 204 more in college, I don't think I could give a complete translation, because Martinez was yelling with such velocity and so loud, the words intertwined with his whistle, that I couldn't keep up. Simply put, he cajoled the others, telling them to pick it up, encouraging them, and before long, all of the others were into the rhythm that he had set, as the ball was fired from second to first to home to second to third, and back around, over and over, Martinez reacting to all of it.
By the time it was over, the Tigers had gone through this daily chore with peak efficiency and energy, which is the beauty of someone like Victor Martinez. For those eight minutes, he helped to make the rest of them better.

No comments: