"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

02 November 2012

Oozy.



A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be standing in the cheesemaking facility of Uplands Cheese in Dodgeville, WI, a short trek from Madison, WI. I’d been there a decade before, and this facility was just being built by owners Mike and Carol Gingrich, some of the best people you’ll ever meet. On this trip, cheesemaker Andy Hatch took us on a tour and we tasted their outstanding Pleasant Ridge Reserve (which is a crazy-good, intensely nutty with a everlasting finish cow milk cheese based on Beaufort, an Alpine cheese from the Savoie region of France).
And we also tasted their brand newly released Rush Creek Reserve, which is the cheese that took me a while to love. Not that it isn’t a great cheese (because it is), it’s just that sometimes I’m a slow learner. Vacherin-style cheeses are wrapped in spruce bark (or something quite similar), giving the oozy, gooey cow milk cheese that it encases a smoky, meaty, woodsy flavor. 

Read the rest at Culture.

No comments: