"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

01 November 2012

Absorb.

Vermeer, The Artist's Studio, 1673


With rain falling outside the lighthouse and dusk settling over the island, we walk toward the dock for my trip home. Wyeth leads the way past the banks of wild roses, pointing out a reduced-scale model of Daniel Webster's historic homestead, moved and rebuilt on a foundation here. "I have a theory about historic places," Wyeth says at the dock. "They absorb the lives of the people who've lived and worked in them. You can't help but learn when you visit. I'm just crazy about that idea."


Jamie Wyeth discusses the magic and meaning of artists' studios at Preservation.

No comments: