"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

10 September 2012

Funk.


In a previous life I was in "the funk" every single day. I was a cheesemonger. It was heaven and I miss it.

If there was one question that I was asked most frequently it was, "How do I store cheese?"

The best answer is, don't store it. Find a reputable source, buy what you will eat today, eat it today, and go back tomorrow and buy more.

Eat it today.

Eat. It. Today.

Don't wait.

Don't "save" it ... you never know what the next day will bring.

Having said that, the best rule of thumb is that cheeses are like people ... the younger they are, the more help they need. A two-year old Parmigiano-Reggiano needs far less handling and care than an Époisses (ahhhh ... the aroma of barnyard and brandy, the cloud-like blanket of salty, buttery love filling the mouth, ... the goosebumps) that is only a couple of months old.

If you are in need of further instruction, Epi-Log has it.

No comments: