"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

06 June 2012

Live!


Ray Bradbury passed away yesterday.

Throughout his life, Bradbury liked to recount the story of meeting a carnival magician, Mr. Electrico, in 1932. At the end of his performance Electrico reached out to the twelve-year-old Bradbury, touched the boy with his sword, and commanded, "Live forever!" Bradbury later said, "I decided that was the greatest idea I had ever heard. I started writing every day. I never stopped."

Read the rest here.

Summer is coming and I can think of no more appropriate reading on this occasion than the preface to Bradbury's novel, Dandelion Wine.

Rest in peace, Mr. Bradbury. Thank you.

No comments: