"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

10 August 2011

Piranesi.

I need to produce great ideas, and I believe that if I were commissioned to design a new universe, I would be mad enough to undertake it.

- Giovanni Battista Piranesi

From the exhibition Le Arti di Piranesi: architetto, incisore, antiquario, vedutista, designer (The Art of Piranesi: architect, engraver, antiquarian, vedutista, designer), a 12 minute animation of Piranesi's Carceri series made by Gregoire Dupond at Factum Arte specifically for the exhibition. This series of 16 visionary images, originally etched by Piranesi when in his late 20's, shows the workings of his imagination, merging his architectural ambitions with his obsessive interest in antiquity. Watching Gregoire Dupond's animation is literally like entering Piranesi's mind.

Read the rest at FACTUM arte.

Piranesi's biography can be found at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Lights out, full screen, volume up, eyes wide open ...


No comments: