"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

10 July 2011

Experience.


Everywhere there is evidence that we are back in the sun's favor. The air is hot and thick enough to carry the aroma of the fields -- grassy, herbal, floral. A friend who has long ago moved to the dry west said recently that she deeply missed the humidity she took for granted all her life, and indeed as I returned from my latest trip to the west, I was bowled over by the smell of cut grass as we rolled through Illinios.

Driving from one end of this county to the other is always a profound experience. There is so much to look at and I am surprised by how "big" it is here. My destination is a farm operated by one of my student's parents. I've been getting messages for days that the blueberries are coming on and picking is not something that can be put off for too long. I can't imagine how berry picking may have fallen from fashion. I remember many days wading through dewy grass, waving away buzzing flies with berry stained fingers ... and then pies, jelly, sauce over homemade ice cream.


More of Wanderations wanderings here.

No comments: