"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

15 July 2011

Could.


When children are very young, they have natural curiosities about the world and explore them, trying diligently to figure out what is real. As they become "producers " they fall away from exploration and start fishing for the right answers with little thought. They believe they must always be right, so they quickly forget mistakes and how these mistakes were made. They believe that the only good response from the teacher is "yes," and that a "no" is defeat.

I knew I could see things in the world that others could not--to me the world could be much more alive and animated. Objects turned into characters before my very eyes, little messages appeared just for me, I saw what ‘could' exist, magical things. But I pushed these thoughts aside because the world told me they were crazy.


More on Keri Smith's "Secret Powers" here, here, and here.

No comments: