"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

13 June 2011

Awareness.


Maybe if I really paid attention to my life I'd notice that I don't know what's going to happen this afternoon and I can't be fully confident that I'm copetent to deal with it. Maybe we're willing to let in that thought. It has some reasonableness to it, I can't exactly know, but chances are, possibilituies are, it's not going to be much different than I've usually experienced and I'll do just fine, so we close up that unsettling possibility with a reasonable response. The practice of awareness takes us below the reasonableness that we'd like to think we live with and then we start to see something quite fascinating, which is the drama of our inner dialogue, of the stories that go through our minds and the feelings that go through our heart, and we start to see in this territory it isn't so neat and orderly and, dare I say it, safe and reasonable. So in the practice of awareness, which has gone on for centuries after centuries and millenium after millenium, human beings have asked themselves, Hmmmm, how do I engage this process in a way that I don't become too frightened by what it might unfold or too complacent by avoiding it? This is the delicate art of awareness.
- Rebecca Solnit

Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final

- Rilke

No comments: