"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

24 February 2011

Portraits.

Andrew Wyeth, Winter Corn, 1948.


There was a lovely cornfield near Lafayette’s headquarters in Chadds Ford where I loved to go and sit alone in quietness. The corn was abandoned; it had been allowed just to go to seed and stood there like the lances held by a line of medieval knights. This is the best painting of corn I ever did, I think. Sere, dry, very much in the spirit of Albrecht Dürer. Funny, I looked upon the two ears almost as portraits – one of a toothless person and the other with every tooth in his mouth.
- Andrew Wyeth

1 comment:

Robert French said...

Rob, I read somewhere that Wyeth particularly liked -about this painting- the tiny bit of yellow corn that shows in the lower left of the picture. Who knew Wyeth even had any yellow paint?