"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

04 September 2010

Amusing.


Georgia O'Keeffe in a letter to Alfred Stieglitz

Canyon, Texas
18 December 1916


Stieglitz -

I've been out watching the sunset again -- I wish -- where you see the wonderful sky line. It's a tremendous line. Just earth and sky meeting -- nothing in sight -- absolutely nothing. We walked into it a long time -- then sat down. I lay down -- flat on my back -- stars coming out -- turning my head a little I could see the sky line -- still a little color to the west.

The sky like a wonderful jewel -- darkest in the center -- high around the edges.

I've always wanted to touch it -- and it always seems more wonderful -- I'm wanting it more ...

It makes me feel so helpless. A kind of helplessness that's amusing ...

No comments: