"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

16 June 2010

Surmount experience.

What I have been able to put into form seems infinitesimal compared with the variety of experience. It has to become a part of ne's world, a part of what one has to speak with -- one paints it slowly. To formulate the new experience into something takes time. Maybe the new place enlarges one's world a little. Maybe one takes one's own world along and cannot see anything else.

O'Keeffe climbing to the roof of Ghost Ranch

I can't understand people who want something badly but don't grab for it. I grabbed.

O'Keeffe, Ladder To The Moon

It belongs to me. God told me if I painted it enough, I could have it.
- Georgia O'Keeffe

No comments: