"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

30 January 2009

More from The Songlines


Oh I believe in song lines
Obvious and not
I've ridden them like camels
To some most peculiar spots.


Jimmy Buffett, Far Side Of The World

Quotes from Chatwin's moleskines...

Our Nature lies in movement; complete calm is death.
Pascal

To live in one land, is captivitie,
To runne all countries, a wild roguery

Donne

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk; every day I wlk myself into a state of well-being and walked away from every illness; I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away fromit . . . but by sitting stillk, and the more one sits still, the closer one comes to feeling ill . . . Thus if one just keeps walking, everything will be all right.
Kierkegaard

Solvitur ambulando. "It is solved by walking."

No comments: