"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

22 January 2009

The Devil In The Kitchen







One of my food heroes is Marco Pierre White. He was the first and youngest Brit to ever be granted three Michelin stars. In 1999, at the height of his notoriety, he returned the Michelin stars, told the world food establishment to take a running jump, and vanished.
He made the decision as he makes many major decisions, clasping a fishing rod. "I caught a salmon and let it go. I realized I was being judged by people who knew less than me, and that gave me the confidence to think, 'I should be kind to myself and do what I want to do.' And so the next day I found myself unemployed. It was important for me to understand myself. Only then can you find happiness.

His book, The Devil In The Kitchen: Sex, pain, madness, and the making of a great chef, is his account of the whole thing. Find it here.

No comments: