"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

22 November 2008

Do yourself a favor . . .



I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing, 5
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame, 10
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran 15
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands; 20
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

-- W.B. Yeats
Song of Wandering Aengus, 1899


I've always loved apples. Being a product of the autumn harvest myself, I feel a bond with all things apple -- pies, butter, sauce, even the look of a tree overburdened with the red, green, and gold orbs of heaven have always had a special connection with me and my favorite season, autumn.

My favorite apple derivitive has always been cider. I especially enoy the rural rusticity that the history of cider enjoys. It is even mentioned as a temptation of Ichabod Crane in Washington Irving's masterpiece, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. One of my fondest memories as a kid growing up in central Michigan, is of a cold, crisp, sunny fall Saturday morning, helping my dad around the garage and yard, occasionally stoping to have a cold glass of cider, accompanied with cinnamon cake doughnuts. The thought remains a romantic achievement I hope to attain and enjoy with my own kids.

My latest exploratation into the world of cider has reaped a bounty of endless joy. In October, my favorite bartender suggested that I try Samuel Smith's Organic Cider -- EUREKA!!! Just like those days of yore. Clean, crisp, clear, this treat is the perfect beverage to complement an autumn day of the same character. Its semi-dry, sparkling palate rounds out this cider's perfection.

The menues of autumn and winter feasts provide the perfect accompaniment to Sam's Cider. Do yourself a favor . . . getchasum!

No comments: